Wednesday, May 28, 2008

"Baby, Baby - Are you okay?"

Mike and I attended our first "baby class" last night. I found out that he was calling all of the classes "birthing classes," which somehow made me feel like Elsie the Cow....so I asked him to call them "baby classes" instead. Actually, this class was technically titled "Infant CPR," which would have been a perfectly okay name to say out loud, but I didn't want to confuse the issue. During the class, we both dutifully gave mouth to mouth and chest compressions to our dirty little "baby," who was dressed in a hideous pink and white jumpsuit. Luckily, they gave us alcohol wipes so I didn't have to fret too much about the germs. Okay, so I still worried about the germs even with the alcohol wipes and would have preferred some kind of disposal covering or something to place over the baby's mouth. Anyway, I think our favorite part was learning to yell "baby, baby - are you okay?" at our infant while tapping her on the feet. Funny because I'm pretty sure that even the most advanced infant will not be able to tell you whether they're okay or not. Overall, though, I'm glad that we went to the class and hope that we never have to use the techniques that we learned. We also went to the doctor this week and were given another good report. It kind of freaked me out when the doctor reminded us that in just a few days we would be able to tell people that our baby was coming next month. Other than that, not much to report except to let you know that all is well. I'm feeling good and we're slowly but surely getting ready for our still nameless baby to arrive.

No comments: