Monday, August 11, 2008

Three Weeks Ago

Tyler is three weeks old today. I can't believe how the days are flying by. Three weeks ago at this time I was hopped up on pitocin waiting for our sweet boy to be born (they tried two bags throughout the day since I "failed to progress" past a 4). We arrived at the hospital at 5:30 a.m....got started with the medication by 7:30 a.m....got the epidural sometime in there...and finally had to have a C-Section around 7:45 p.m. The surgery part wasn't near as scary as I thought it would be.

In fact, during most of the surgery I listened to the doctors talk about how Labrador retrievers like to eat poop more than other breeds of dogs. I even chimed in from time-to-time from behind the iron curtain (okay, the flimsy hanging sheet...but iron curtain sounds better). I certainly didn't like having my arms tied down and sticking straight out, but it wasn't too bad. Actually the worst part of the whole thing was the feeling that the inside of my mouth and lips were covered with sandpaper. Knowing that my chap stick was only a few rooms and a few short minutes away kept me sane. :) Mike was a champ during the whole thing, dressed in his one piece green hospital suit and providing the right kind of encouragement at the right time. When Tyler was born at 8:15 p.m., he let out quite a cry, which really was the best sound in the world.

Tyler made 100% on his first test (APGAR) and was able to make it back to the room before I did. While the doctors stitched me up, our families were meeting Tyler for the first time. I'm pretty sure that he melted a few hearts in a very short time. He's got a way with people, you know. :)

The combination of the anesthetic and loss of body heat made me shake uncontrollably after the surgery. The nurses piled on tons of blankets before getting me back to my room. I was pretty nervous about holding Tyler when I saw him because (again) I was shaking so much that I was afraid I might not be able to hang on to him. I had Mike lay him in my arms, and within a minute all of the shaking went away. My little miracle made me whole again. God really knows what he's doing, huh.

Before...


After...


Back in the room...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristie, its Amber Dutton (fka Shatley) I found your page from Danielle's blog. Your baby boy is precious. I loved seeing all the pics on your page. Its really funny. From her page I found a photographer from the Tulsa area's blog and started reading it then went to her professional blog and was like I think that is Kristie's baby then went back to your blog and sure enough it was baby Tyler. Tell your friend she did an amazing job with the photos and I'm inspired. Its so nice to find you. Babies are such a blessing. I have two children they are 3 1/2 (Olivia)and 15 months (Easton.)

Danielle said...

Excuse me, but do you have makeup on in that first picture. You do not look like you were about to go in and have a beautiful little boy.
Love the pictures and the updates. Keep them coming and kiss the little man for me. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. In that last picture you don't look like a lady who spent 12+ hours in labor then had surgery... Tyler must have restorative properties to go along with his general preciousness.