So...those of you that know me already know that I'm not much of an exerciser. I mean, there was this one stretch several years back when I took an awesome aerobics class with Kami (and stuck with it), but that was a LONG time ago. I mean, I've had a gym membership or two and have taken some classes here and there but have never really embraced the concept of fitness. I know. It's horrible.
I've also never been a big "New Year's Resolution" type person. However, all the people around me that are going on diets and starting exercise programs somehow inspired me to get on the treadmill earlier this week. Now, I've walked/jogged on several treadmills in my day - but just never got to be that close with any of them, since I didn't put the quality time into the relationship and all. In fact, several years ago I almost beat a treadmill to death. In one of my brief moments of inspiration, I went to the gym to jog on the treadmill. I quickly got into a groove (must have been listening to some music) and was feeling pretty good about myself until the guy next to me interrupted. Oh yeah, the nice man politely suggested that I run "heel...toe...heel...toe" instead of the way that I was jogging. Anyway, after I got over the embarrassment and tried it, I realized that the loud pounding sound (only to be rivaled by a herd of elephants) that I thought was normal for a gym with a bunch of people running on treadmills was only coming from me. Poor treadmill. I'm not sure that it ever recovered. Woops. I digress.
Anyways, I think that the treadmill that we have now, which belongs to Mike's sister Amy, may be involved in some sort of revenge scheme with the family of the treadmill that I injured with my flat footed running technique. I begged Mike (and Dustin) to get the treadmill for me when I was pregnant, because I was going to be a very fit pregnant lady. Unfortunately, I think that I only got on it twice before Tyler arrived. Again, I know. I'm terrible, but I was going to redeem myself by getting fit in the new year.
To get ready for the treadmill this time, I put on my trusty running shoes (which I bought a while back and paid a hefty price for because I thought it would inspire me to exercise) and turned on a DVD to set the mood. The workout started out like all the rest...got on the treadmill...started walking...turned it up (not too high - didn't want to injure myself ;) )...did some speed walking for a few minutes...when without warning, the treadmill started trying to kill me. First, the large piece that holds the arm on came off and rolled down the treadmill. All of the washers and other mechanical bits and pieces that hold on the arm quickly followed. If that wasn't enough, the arm wiggled its way off and smacked me as I was trying to dodge all of the other parts coming at me. No worries...I was stealthy enough to survive without any major injuries. Better luck next time, Mr. Treadmill.
So there you have it. I was inspired. I tried. I almost got killed. I am not inspired anymore, and that is why I don't make resolutions.
So - is anyone still listening to the "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" song? Am I the only one who knows this song? It's random the way that things pop into my head, but I think you already knew that. ;)
3 comments:
You crack me up girl...I can just see you dodging treadmill parts. I'm proud of you for even getting on the tresadmill. I may be dieting but I haven't used my gym membership NEAR enough. I plan on trying to go this week some...HOPEFULLY!!!
Ha!! You crack me up!
UPDATE!
Post a Comment